Thursday, September 15, 2011

Introduction to Local Agriculture

   You might be asking yourself why it matters where my food comes from?  Well, there are lots of reasons!!!  Locally grown agriculture is fresh!!!  It was just harvested, so it can be picked just as it is ripening, that makes it better for you and it will taste a whole lot better.  Also, it doesn’t use as much fuel to transport locally grown agriculture (especially if you go directly to the farm), so there is less carbon emission and less consumption of energy.  Plus, locally grown agriculture keeps the local money in our community, helping the local economy.  
    Every time you go food shopping, you are making a choice.  Consider all of your options—keep it local!!!  To get started, you could check out the Massachusetts page for local farmers.


      An agency that seems to have a large part of the agriculture community would be Commonwealth Quality. This is a brand that has been designed by the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources. The main goal of this agency is to provide farm fresh products that are guaranteed to be produced with safe and environmentally friendly resources and outcomes.  Commonwealth Quality has many certified growers, processors and producers that strive in meeting rigorous federal, state and local monitoring requirements. Only the finest management practices are used to ensure quality products and guarantee that consumers obtain the freshest and best products that they possibly could. The Commonwealth Quality Seal delivers a trusted guarantee that the products consumers are purchasing such as fruits, vegetables and also processed foods are Massachusetts grown, processed and also handled with extreme attention. The Commonwealth Quality ensures that the farmers, processors and distributors that have the Commonwealth Quality certification are in complete compliance with all local, state and federal regulations, these are the same regulations that have been administrated by the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection along with the United States Department of Agriculture and Environmental Protection Agency. Not only does it guarantee to be in complete compliance with all of these agencies the seal also promises to be within local town regulations.


United States Department Of Agriculture

      An agency that has a big influence on agriculture and the policies that effect the food on our table is the United States Department of Agriculture also known as USDA. Many of you have probably heard this acronym on T.V. related to our food. They are part of the United States federal executive department. The USDA's mission statement is as follows, "We provide leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, and related issues based on sound public policy, the best available science, and efficient management", taken from the USDA website. They are responsible for many regulations including, but not limited to: Federal Grain Inspection, Food Distribution Regulations and Rulemaking, Food and Nutrition Service Regulations and Policies, Food Safety Inspection Service Regs and Policies and Rural Development Instructions. Many of these regulations and policies effect the food on our table, the quality of it and even the food in our school systems.


     I am Christine and I am a Senior here at Salem State.  I am a 44-year-old adult learner majoring in Elementary Education and American Studies.  I live in North Andover with my husband of 20 years, Michael and our three kids.  Alex is my oldest; he is 18 years old and a senior in high school.  My sons David and Jason are twins, are 15 years old, and are sophomores.  I love to cook for my family.  My love of cooking has brought me through many recipes and many, many grocery stores and farms in search for the perfect ingredients.  I love to explore new foods and try new recipes and I love my local farmer.  We have a wonderful farm here in North Andover, Smolack Farms, which is how I got interested in local farming. 
    My name is Leo and I am also a senior, even though I’ve been a senior for technically about two years, I’m trying to graduate! I live in Amesbury, MA with my Fiancée, Ashley and our two daughters, Lorelai who is 4 years old and Audrey who is 8 months. This topic is important and interesting to me because I think that more support should go into the outcome of local farmers and town farms. I would personally rather go get fruit, vegetables and even meat from our local farm in Newbury, Tendercrop Farm, than going to a chain grocery store. Not only is the food fresher, but I feel good supporting the “little guy” versus a large chain store.


       My name is Erika and I'm a senior as well, planning to graduate this spring. I'm also planning to go back after I graduate and get my Master's degree in Special Education. I live in Middleton, Ma and have lived there most of my life. I actually live 5 minutes away from the Richardson's Dairy Farm and have gotten used to being near a farm, seeing the cows as I drive in and out of Middleton and of course the smell especially in the summer! This summer, Middleton has started a farmer's market in the Angelica's parking lot every Wednesday. It's not just Middleton, but many other towns in the area are having their own farmer's market. I drive by a farm on the Danvers/Middleton line all the time and I'm amazed at all the food they grow. Each year, I see the progression of growth of these fresh foods and wonder where it all goes and how it tastes. I want to see how the fresh vegetables compare to the grocery store. I'm really interested in local farming and the pros and cons of it compared to the superstore chain. As the semester goes on, I will be open and honest about this new adventure and see where it takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment