Thursday, September 22, 2011

Interviews About Local Farming

Leo
Interview
                The person I’ve chosen to interview about my topic was my mother-in-law Stephanie.  After discussing our group’s topic and issue we talked about some of the questions provided.
1.       Do you think others in our community think this is a problem?

I do not really believe others think this is that much of an issue, everyone seems to just be blinded by the large chains such as Shaws or Stop N’ Shop and forget about all the goodness of local farms. There are many people that I know that shop at farms, but I think it needs to be more constant, and more people need to take part in the action of local farms.

2.       Is this an important issue to you personally?

This is an important issue to me; I always go to my local farm, Tendercrop, to buy a majority of my items, such as fruit, vegetables and meats. I think that more people should buy their food at these local places because the overall quality of the produce and meats are so much better. Supporting local farms is something that should be taken more seriously. Not only do they provide better quality items but they also seem to take pride in the fact that they are indeed providing a higher quality product than a lot of the larger stores.

After discussing the Commonwealth Quality and all the policies and things it has to offer we talked about the following questions.

3.       What are the advantages of this policy?

I personally didn’t know anything about this but I think it’s an excellent idea. The fact that they use these stickers to “mark” the items that we as consumers purchase is perfect.  It just further helps people purchase quality food products that are healthier and overall better for you.

4.       Are there disadvantages?  Does this policy need to be enhanced?

As far as I can see, from an uneducated eye, I cannot see any disadvantages; the only thing I can say about enchaining it would be that it should be a more widespread thing.  I think that every single company should have to have some sort in depth production standard to ensure that consumers are getting the very best quality possible.

5.       Are you aware of all the local farms in your community?

I personally only use the one farm which is Tendercrop, I can get everything that I need there at a pretty decent price for the quality that the farm boasts. However on the way there I go by two other farms. These are of smaller size but they seem to be just as nice.

6.       After answering these questions has your opinion of local farming changed?

My opinion of the issue has only been increased after talking about it. I strongly agree that more people should shop at these local farms. If people are continuously blinded by these large chain stores they should change their thinking. Local farms need support and they products that they offer are such better quality and are an all-around better deal.

After doing this interview I actually learned more than I thought I would. I knew that Stephanie shopped at Tendercrop however I did not know that she actually rarely goes to the supermarket. This just makes it more clear to me that more people need to take it upon themselves and start looking into the benefits of local farms. These businesses are excellent sources of natural products and they should be taken advantage of.

___________________________________________________

Christine's Interview:

The person I have chosen to interview is my Mother-in-law, Nancy.  She is a nurse in Massachusetts and lives in Wakefield.  As a nurse (and a grandmother), I know that healthy food choices are important to her and therefore options are critical.  She and I have shared many meals together and have explored many grocery stores and local farms together.  Often, when we vacation, we will even try local farms in the area.  I discussed the blog to Nancy, and she was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.

Do you think local farming is important?  Does your community support local farming?

Yes, I think local farming is important. If the local farmer is not supported, we risk losing the farmers ability to financially continuing to provide us with wonderful produce. It is also a way of preserving the land.  My community provides us with a farmers market every Saturday in a common area and farmers come from many different local communities to sell their products.  My community also advertises this event in the local newspaper weekly.

How do you think the government (local, state or federal) support or does not support the local farmer?

Although there are no local farms in Wakefield, the town provides the space and time for the Farmer’s Market weekly, at no cost to the farmers. I don’t know what the state and federal governments provide financially or supportively to farmers.

Do you or have you ever used a local farm?  If so, for what?  If not, why not? 

I have used a local farm, Green Meadows Farm, about 30 minutes away. Green Meadows is an organic farm and I belonged to Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. I paid up front for about 6 months of my share of the produce that was available.


Do you think your food tastes better from a local farmer than from a grocery store?  Why or why not?



Definitely tastes better. It’s food that has just been picked from the garden to home and usually cooked that same day/week.  I have also gotten flowers at the Farmer's Market and through my CSA.  The flowers are more beautiful and last longer.

I spoke with Nancy about the Commonwealth Policy in Massachusetts.  She was not aware if it and was very interested.  I asked her if she would choose a product with the Commonwealth Policy Seal over another item in a supermarket.

Definitely, I would choose their product.  It would be homegrown and fresher.  It is a shame more people are not aware of this so they could look for it and seek it out.  There doesn’t seem to be much advertisement about it.


After talking with Nancy, I have come to wonder how many people truly know what their food options are.  The supermarket seems to be so convenient, that we may not even be considering other healthy, fresher options.  Nancy had a point, not many people seem to be aware of their choices and no one (in the government) seems to be telling anyone. 
________________________________________
Erika's Interview
                                  Interview with Paris Beckett



I chose to do my interview with my best friend Paris who is also an environmental minor at Salem State University. After discussing local farms, she was kind enough to answer questions.
1.      Do you think supporting local farming is important? Why or why not?
Local farming is important because it is supporting a local economy and the small business owners. By supporting the smaller business it not only helps the farmer, but it helps to prevent a monopoly on products.

2. Do you think the community you live in supports local farming? How or how not?
My local community is an old farm town and we here still enjoy our fresh produce. Many homes even have their own vegetable gardens and often go to the weekly farmer's market to help support our local farmers.

3. How do you think the government (local, state or federal) support or does not support the local farmer?
Government does not support local farming because it continues to give tax cuts and loop wholes to the biggest business. There are only 5 major slaughterer houses in this country. And there is only 1 company the provides growing seed t farmers, and this company will attack any farmer that is suspected of holding seed (see Food Inc documentary). Not to mention that all the former emplyies of the big bussnesses are in high government possitions that regulate the bussnesses and their policies.

4. Are there any disputes in your community about local farming or Agribusiness?
In my communities only family owned farms are allowed in the farmers market. But no large bussnesses are allowed in my town. But in my area there are several large food marts. Large companies are not allowed in Boxford.

5. Do you have any local farms in your community?
           My town does have local farms as well as many personal green houses and gardens that sell their produce from their homes. Some even have chickens and sell fresh eggs.

6. Do you or have you ever used a local farm? If so, for what? If not, why not?
I have used local farmed produce. Whenever I go away if I see a farm stand I try to stop. I find the produce to have a better taste and I enjoy having the one on one contact with the person who has produced or harvested the food I am about to consume.

7. Do you think the government should offer local farmers/CSA’s affordable lease options?
Lease options should be made salable however what the government should do is eliminate the chock hold on local farmers so that they can hold their own seed and local ranchers can have their own slaughter houses and unbiased legislation in the senate. That people in the senate should legally have no ties to any side that could make it difficult for them, to make an unbiased decision.

8. Do you think your food is safer from a local farmer?
The food has been proven to be safer from local farmers because they are not often producing in the mass quantities company farms are producing. Because they are smaller they can better regulate water and sanitation. And often it is their home land they are farming so they have a greater investment in what is put into their environment and fed to their families.
 
9. Do you think your food tastes better from a local farmer than from a grocery store? Why or why not?
I feel it does taste better. Though some fruits can taste better from the companies because there are artificial genes in them to become sweeter. Once you taste a wild blueberry and a GMO blueberry you will know the difference. From there it is only a personal preference. I have also experienced something similar with eggs.

10. Would you support offering the same tax shelters that Agribusinesses enjoy to the local farmer?
No, they do not need them.

From doing this interview, I've realized that young adults my own age are fully aware of this issue concering local farms. What we know need to do is have it trickle down to the even younger generations to make a bigger impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment